Abu Lahab and his wife did many terrible, almost unbelievable things to the Prophet and his Companions throughout their lives. Although he was the Prophet's own uncle, he tried in every way to make his life miserable. He is the only person mentioned in the Quran specifically by name for Allah's punishment.
His wife used to get up early in the morning to collect thorns to put in front of the Prophet's house. It is said that she owned a valuable necklace, and that she wanted to sell it so she could use the money to harm the Prophet saw in some way. Allah says here that rather than the necklace, she will have a rough rope around her neck in Hell.
This surah is also known as al-Lahab.
Surah al-Masad (111: The Palm Leaf/The Flame)
In the name of Allah, the Kindest and Most Merciful One..
- The power of Abu Lahab will perish and he will perish.
- Neither his wealth nor what he has gained will help him.
- He will be pushed down into the flaming Fire
- and his wife, the wood-carrier
- will have a rope of rough palm leaves around her neck.