HIJAB FOR WOMEN IN ISLAM, CHRISTANITY AND HINDUISM:
- HIJAB FOR WOMEN IN ISLAM:
It mention in Surah Noor, says:
And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss. [Al-Qur’an 24:31]
According to Qur’an and Sunnah there are basically 6 criteria for observing hijab:
1. Extent:The first criterion is the extent of the body that should be covered. This is different for men and women. The extent of covering obligatory on the male s to cover the body at least from the navel to the knees. For women, the extent of covering obligatory is to cover the complete body except the face and the hands upto the wrist. If they wish to, they can cover even theseparts of the body. Some scholars of Islam insist that the face and the hands are part of the obligatory extent of ‘hijab’.
All the remaining five criteria are the same for men and women.
2. The clothes worn should be loose and should not reveal the figure.
3. The clothes worn should not be transparent such that one can see through them.
4. The clothes worn should not be so glamorous as to attract the opposite sex.
5. The clothes worn should not resemble that of the opposite sex.
6. The clothes worn should not resemble that of the unbelievers i.e. they should not wear clothes that are specifically identities or symbols of the unbelievers’ religions.
“O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing womenthat they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad); that is most convenient, that they should be known (as such) and not molested. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”[Al-Qur’an 33:59]
The Qur’an says that Hijab has been prescribed for the women so that they are recognized as modest women and this will also prevent them from being molested.
2. HIJAB FOR WOMEN IN CHRISTIANITY :
“A women shall not wear anything that pertains to a man, not shall a man put on a woman’s garment, or all who do so are an abomination to the Lord your God”[In the Book of Deuteronomy Ch 22 Verse 5]
“In like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing”“But, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works.[I Timothy Ch 2 Verse 9-10]
“But every women who pray or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonores her head, forThat it one and the same as if her head were shaved”For if a women is not covered (head), let her also be shorn. But of ot os shameful for a women to be shorn or shaved , let her be covered.”[I Corinthians Ch 11 Verse 5-6]
Strict then Islam , in Christianity if women don’t cover the head punishment is shave her head.
“You have heard that it was said to those of old not commit adultery , but I say unto you , any one look at women after lust , he already committed adultery in his heart”[Matthew Ch 5 Verse 27-28]
3. HIJAB FOR WOMEN IN HINDUISM:
God made you women , so that you shall lower your gaze , do not look at men , keep your feet close cover you hear and should not disclose the garment , which should conceal with the veil” [Rig Veda Book 8 Hymn 33 Mantra 19-20]
“ It’s not good , that man covering this thigh with female garment”[Rig Veda Book 10 Hymn 85 Mantra 30]
When Ram saw the Parushu Ram coming , he tell to Seta.“ O Seta keep yourselves in the veil and lower you gaze”[Maha veera Chritra Act 2 page on 71]