This surah describes the difference between the true believers and the unbelievers. The 'Clear Proof' is the Quran and the Sunnah: the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is the Messenger of Allah swt which is mentioned, and the pure pages are those of the Quran. The term 'People of the Book' is used in the Quran to refer to Christians and Jews (who have been given a holy book - Torah to Jews and Injil to Christians). Allah says that some of them are true believers, but more are unbelievers.
The Jews and the Christians knew that a messenger was supposed to come in the last days, as mentioned in 2:89, but when the Holy Prophet saw came with clear proofs, they rejected him only because he was not from the Israelites. Their attitude was thus more reproachable than the pagans who did not believe in any prophet. That is why they are condemned in this verse as separate from the open polytheists.
The unbelievers of the People of the Book and the idol-worshippers could never found a way out of the religious mistakes until Allah sent his Messenger Muhammad saw with the Quran, to explain the things which had confused them. But not all of the People of the Book in the Arabia and the surrounding areas accepted the Quran and the beloved Prophet (PBUH). They became divided into many small groups, arguing with each other about minor details. Allah presents here the main points of true religion:to serve only Him as the One True God with a sincere heart, pray regularly and share whatever one has with others.
Those who reject the truth after it has been clearly explained are among the worst of creation, and are destined for punishment. Those who struggle with themselves to remain faithfully obedient to Allah's laws are among the best of creation; unlike the angels, they have been given a free will to do good or bad, and they earn Allah's pleasure through their good choice.
Surah Madani(8 verses)
Surah al- Bayyinah (The Clear Proof)
In the name of Allah, the Kindest and Most Merciful One..
1. The unbelievers of the People of the Book and the idol-worshippers could never have left (their mistakes) until the Clear Proof came to them:
2. A messenger from Allah, reciting pure pages
3. With correct scriptures.
4. And the People of the Bok did not disagree until the Clear Proof came to them;
5. And they were not ordered to do anything except serve ALlah, devoting themselves sincerely to Him alone, as straight and true believers, and to establish the regular prayers, and pay the Zakat (purifying alms)
- and that is the real religion.
6. Surely the unbelievers of the People of the Book and the idol-worshippers will stay forever in the Hell-fire. They are the worst of creation.
7. And surely those who believe and do what is good are the best of creation.
8. Their reward is with their Lord; Gardens of Eden in which rivers flow, where they will live forever. Allah is pleased with them, and they are pleased with Him. That is for the one who fears his Lord.
ii)http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ , go to Surah al- Bayyinah
iv) The Meanings of the Noble Quran with explanatory notes(pg 1186) by Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani (Maktaba Ma'ariful Quran - Quranic Studies Publishers, Karachi, Pakistan)
Video recitation by Mishary Rashed al Efasy at --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOUhYo5H_6w